Caffè Nero

Caffè Nero Employee Reviews

Workplace

Great place to work, although the pay is below average. You can advance to shift leader realtively quickly but progression beyond assistant manager is difficult.

Good Culture, friendly atmosphere. Uncompetitive pay and limited progression to management.

Pros

Friendly Colleagues and Management, work itself isn't particularly taxing.

Cons

Erratic Shifts (shop dependant), Below average Pay.

Fast-paced but manageable

Good place to work if you get a good store (would avoid city centre ones based on what I’ve heard). I get on with all staff and really enjoy working there. Only downside is I wish pay was higher for shift leaders as you have a lot of responsibility and still basically on minimum wage. The pay is the only reason I would consider leaving (especially considering how much Nero must make each year). Coffee is made to a great standard and customers seem to come for that so you feel your work is useful

Pros

Staff discount, free hot drinks, entertaining customer drama

Cons

Low pay especially for shift leaders

Stressful and demanding

I've worked at Caffe Nero for about 4 years. The good side is that if you're lucky, you'll work with a great team. The downside is that the company is very demanding and often the demand more than what you can do with the means they provide you with.

Poor salary, they sack you over nothing.

Hi,so I have recently been fired after three months of hard work and waking up as early as 4.30 am.Wonderful learning how to be a barista, but don't bother applying if you do not wish to memorize their bible barista book. They will actually fire you if you do not know it line by line even if you put the things you have been trained to do in practice.Colleages ok, but they make things up about you in their feedback and to your face they are so very nice. I ALSO got screamed at after trying to defend myself! Conclusion: sucks. Go to pret or something.

Pros

flexible hours, free coffee and food (sometimes when on shift)

Cons

everything else.

can be boring when isn’t busy

It really depend on management and collegues how you feel at work. it can be fun also it can be miserable. so important to have a good manager and shift leader.

Easy job but questionable management

Easy to get promoted, depending on which store you work at it's more or less hectic. It obviously depends on the location and types of customers you get.Only problems encountered were area managers, always on you for irrelevant things, lost touch with the reality of working in the shops. It was also really bad during lockdown, they would send an email or memo to say how much they care for us these stressful times, but no real actions. Most people in my shop quit or got transferred at the same time. No one wondered why or question anything, and obviously no thank you or even goodbye. They care very little for their staff.

Pros

Friendly coworkers

Cons

Long hours, shifts always changing, unreliable management

Management are fantastic and always there for you but with wages being so low it’s very hard to hire and keep staff.

Super management team, supportive and always there for you. Great progression opportunities. Sadly the wages need to be higher. You can get much better paid position for the same amount of work expected.

Pros

Work family

Cons

You give up your life to keep the store running

1st year fine, after that don't take their career oppotunities

I worked here for 6 years, the first year was absolutely fine. It was somewhat a good work environment as long as you have the right team and management. But as far as career progression its downhill from there. They expect way past your contract, its a stressful workplace and you will get shouted at, insulted, and thats even by your own management or regional management. Even if you do well you will not be recognised for it. I learnt to never be further than just an ordinary barista. Going into management was way past my pay grade. Don't go down this road. Pay rise didn't happen for at least 4 years and it was just mere pennies. Don't even bother working for a company that doesn't care about their staff. Its all money for them. They have no budget for their employees. Their goal is to drain your life then replace you and don't expect to have most days off either, I worked enough 7 days I could count.

Pros

Free Drinks, thats about it. Free Food used to be a thing but they got rid of it.

Cons

12-14 Hour Shifts, Barely 20 minute lunch breaks (which is the only time you get, no 1 hour long breaks here!), Bad Mangement, Underpaid, They only close for christmas for the entire year, No life.

Toxic environment, waste the time with this company

Toxic environment, waste the time with this company.They are expected to do everything with low pay .Low pay , no life outside of yours , bad culture

The management team were lovely but there was no atmosphere in the cafe between customers and also between staff. It was like working in silence

The training was of a very good standard and I learnt a lot. however there was a lot of pressure to advance quickly and soon I was left without guidance. There was rarely any chat between other employees.

Staff issues but over all good company to work for

You don't get paid for brakes and you do have to pay for your food during lunch thow at a discount. They have either took much staff cutting down on everyone's hours our too little overworking everyone. Big company so not much care for the little guy

Stressful, toxic work place

Little to no time for breaks. Ridiculously high expectations for only two members of staff working during high volume periods. Stressful. Early morning and late finishes go without saying. Terrible area managers that have no idea how much employees actually endure. Depending on your store, common customers.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

It wasn't worth the free coffee.

I was excited to work here however as the days went by the more singled out I felt... many were fake or didn't even communicate with you or even ignore you. The training was not what I expected, I was embarrassed in front of customers as I didn't know where most things were or what they were asking for, it was extremely busy too and how they take orders and make drinks is so silly, it made the queue go on for ages because of the slow service and customers will moan at you for it. You mainly clean the first few days and then get shown the drinks but only an hour wasn't enough and if you are too slow I seriously saw one guy moan at a new starter for being too slow! Many stopped returning to work as it was that stressful you also have to share tips, or dont see them at all and you still have to pay for food when you're on break which is only 20 minutes!!! it isn't enough time to digest to then run around again after eating. Benefits are poor too, all it did was hurt my body and cause more anxiety

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Short break, cliques, stressful environments

Fun and fast

Nice place , training and development , busy, nice people, close to the shops . Good management. Team is great. Lovely Christmas period. Free coffee. Good discount.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Short break

Toxic work environment

So here’s the thing, working for Nero as a barista is not all that bad, everything goes downhill once you start progressing within your store. Working as Shift Leader and Assistant Store Manager for Nero is genuinely mentally draining. You’re expected to efficiently run the store but you get given no time whatsoever to set up in the morning and close up in the evening, no time on shift to perform management duties, meaning you’d have a queue to the door and have to send your orders/deal with deliveries/do paperwork/deal with issues/etc in between customers. Stores are constantly understaffed, this being a company standard, no more than 2/3 members (including managers) ever allowed on shift. They introduced lone working during the pandemic and still have their staff doing it in the morning (through the busiest rushes). They also ask them to perform deep cleaning (on shift obviously, you don’t get paid for any overtime) having pages long lists and pretending it’s all done no matter how busy it is. You’d be rushed off your feet, over stressed, over worked on a 10-11 hours shift with no time for a glass of water, sometimes no breaks even. Queues don’t stop for a second and neither does the online ordering and pick up services. All of that stress for a wage that’s way below the industry’s standards. Absolutely appalling, no wonder why everyone is quitting.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Too many to list

Nice workplace

It isn't an easy job, but I really enjoyed to work at cafe nero.Salary was usual. Manager and colleagues were nice.

Pros

Perks

Cons

Rota is always changeing

Pretty middle of the road

Not bad. Like all jobs in food service, it takes a toll on your body. I did like stretching my mind having to memorize two orders at a time. I liked it a little better that another popular coffee place I worked at. No one makes you wear a timer around your neck.

Best place to start First job

If you Young and looking for First job is best place you can learn a lot about business coffe hoe to serve and work hard. Perfect place for students and people who never worked before.

Pros

Hardwork

Cons

Pay

Company needs a reset

It starts of really great as you are a trainee and barista as all stores need employees but as soon as you progress there is more stress, feeling overwhelmed and overworked for low pay and barely any benefits - they offered as amazing benefits but actually it’s just the bare minimum . Not to mention the constant hour cuts. Poor standard of working.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Too much to list

Absolutely Appaling

Firstly Caffè Nero Do Not Pay Enough! And Expect Everything! I Enjoyed My Job However They Have Such High High Standards For Staff Who Are Paid So Poorly. Management Are Also Not Paid Enough For The STRESS Of The Job!! And Staff Turnover Is So Rapid.

Pros

Discounts in other stores(if you use them)

Cons

Stress!! Long Hours! One person opening and closing! No security!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caffè Nero. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Caffè Nero