Costa Coffee

Costa Coffee Employee Reviews

Showing all 2,530 reviews

Responsible

Productive and competitive and became more reponsible. Take oders, making coffee, bus-out, clean espresso machine, made a paper works and sales everyday.

Pros

Free 2 drinks everyday

Cons

8-12hours

Poor managment

Worked here about a month HAD to quit due to the stress from managment and no help at all, no communication however other staff members were lovely, just completely rubbish managment

Pros

Pay

Cons

Busyness

Amazing place to work

I have learnt so much and gained so much confidence through out the years with great support from all sides of teams at costa . Meeting new people experiencing people's daily life . Always a different day at costa but always good

Pros

Learning experience. Bonus . Discounts

Cons

Can be hard with online orders

Fast paced but rewarding

Management was hard at times but could be nice if they liked you, the job itself was very fast and stressful but that’s what I loved about it, the training was basically all online and no one really told me what to do but it’s all quite basic stuff in the end anyway.

Pros

Half price food and free drinks on shift

Cons

Fast paced and hard work

Fast-paced and regular customers

It can get very busy, and sometimes team members don’t have enough patience with each other. Overall, it was a good place to work, but the work/life balance wasn’t great, and the company gives the bare minimum in terms of breaks (30 minutes if your shift is 6 hours or more): this is difficult when you’re on your feet the whole time, and you sometimes have to deal with confrontational customers.

Pros

Excellent discount, free drinks

Cons

Work/life balance

Underpaid and overworked

If salaried you will go often be expected to go over contracted hours to suit the stores needs and you will not be paid for them or get them back. Unrealistic targets to hit, constantly understaffed and just expected to work harder and get on with it and do the job of 3-4 people. No time to clean, made feel like you can’t call out sick. Company is greedy and out profit over staff everytime

served a purpose

average job, management all over the place, use for part-time and no more get out asapnot a particularly hard job but customers can be incredibly rude for no reasonlots of pressure on young part-time students and the minute they leave for bigger and better things the place falls apart.

Fun however very stressful

It was a great place to work with, the managers where caring and catered towards my balances between work and school, however as Costa is a very big company there was no relaxed hours during the day, it was stressful but fun

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Stressful

fast paced and busy

Very close team working. Come in early and finish slightly late. Management tried to accomodate me as much as possible to fit around my school schedule. Never had a quiet moment. Worked hard as it seemed like they did care about me.

Pros

Good working team

Cons

No quiet moments

Stress

BMs are not great staff can be rude when it gets busy due to stress Having to deal with the public is bad many work place politics. Staff will openly talk about how bad new starts are at the job even insulting them to their face

Pros

Na

Cons

Stressful

Very poor management

I started at Costa as a Barista. I had very little training on drinks when suddenly I was a shift runner. I was opening and closing the store with little training. Management was useless and very immature and had no idea about great customer service. I was also working 56 hours per week even though I shouldn't have been doing more than 48 per week.

Relaxed but sometimes stressful

It was a nice place to work during summer holidays. You get free drinks and discounted food. Everyone was friendly but it was a shame that they had zero hour contracts.

Pros

free drinks, discounted food

Cons

low pay, zero hour contract

Very long hours.

Very long hours and made to stay on a lot due to sickness and unreliable colleagues, working 70 hours weekly and constant phone calls and messages when not at work. No work life balance at all, very hard to switch off.

Pros

Free drinks

Cons

Massively Long hours, constant phones calls/ messages on days off

Worst place to work ever

Don’t waste your time life is too short to work for this company Long hours Poor payVile staff and managers No perks Fake people Miserable customers

Pros

Cons

Too many to mension

Stressful and unrealistic

Before the takeover of Coca-Cola, I and many of my old team used to love working for the company. However recently, costa isn't what it once was. They only care about unrealistic targets, and push you beyond the physical limits to hit these targets. You don't get a work life balance, or any recognition from higher up, and the only recognition you will receive is in the form of punishment for the things you do slightly wrong. Like many other of my old team members, I left not long after they got rid of the assistant manager role, and expected the maestro role to take on the additional responsibilities on no additional pay to make up for it. I wouldn't recommend working for the company if you value your life outside of work, because to them, you're just a number and mean nothing.

Pros

Free drinks on shift? (if you get chance to actually drink them)

Cons

No work-life balance, poor company management, ridiculous and unachievable targets.

Fun

Costa coffee is a great place to work. You can have fun, laugh and its a family. If you need help other membersd the team will help their team is there for you

Pros

50% off food when working amd 25% off when not working amd free drinks hot drinks whem wprkimg

Cons

N/a

Poor management, treat staff as disposable

Poor payUnder appreciatedZero work life balancePoor mental healthLong hoursReally high staff turnover No real benefits Staff treated poorly Toxic work environment

Pros

50% off on lunch ( but still expensive)

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, high turnover of staff

Fun small team, friendly and productive

Working in a small team that feels more like family than work colleagues. There’s always someone to help pick you up if you’re having a bad day. Plenty of laughs and a team that’s willing to help get everything done.

Pros

Free drinks and discounted food and drinks

Cons

Lots of overtime but can decline

Stressful and understaffed

Whole company is understaffed, struggling to find any cover from any stores. Nightmare when busy. Company insists you must stay open when there's not enough staff to run the store properly. No time for proper cleaning or organising or even training new staff (all online and no in store training) so as a supervisor you're constantly running round picking up the pieces.

Pros

50% of meals, free drinks when on shift.

Cons

Understaffed, stressful

Cruel manager

Manager was incredibly rude and abrasive, loved working there even with the stress but such poor management. Full time workers are overworked to 7 days a week opening and closing, pay is secure but proper documentation is never checked leading to mistakes by the company such as over taxing. Cannot discourage working here enough is a terrible environment.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

The company

Ok place to work

Expected to be a shift leader/key holder for the same pay as everyone else. So when things don’t go right it’s my fault yet we are all paid the same. Expected to be there earlier but don’t get paid for being there same as closing shop only paid till a certain time even if you stay 30mins longer you won’t see that money. Manager hired friends and new people who over took my hours and I had them cut. Tried to speak to them but nothing got done about it

Pros

Free drinks on shift And 50% of when not working or for friends and family

Cons

Long hours not very good work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costa Coffee. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Costa Coffee
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?