Dollar General

Dollar General Employee Reviews

Showing all 32,705 reviews

nice people with a great work environment

Working for dollar general is really nice its a nice laid back job that's easy to do but the only problem is the hours there extremely short if you work part time.

Pros

Good environment

Cons

no benefits

Staff is great but corporate management is lacking

In person staff is mostly amazing. Training is lacking. They tend to throw you into a position without any training and expect you to succeed day one. District and corporate management doesn’t seem to know what they’re doing.. non of them can give the correct or same answer when asked the same question. District manager tells you he supports you and then turns around and does the exact opposite. Corporate doesn’t handle Hr issues well… nor workmans comp. if you get hurt the workmans comp will ignore you and deny care by not responding to your concerns. Seen it way too many times. That’s just the tip of it. Would not recommend.

great manager

Over work you with little pay. New hires were paid more than employees working for the company for over a year. Once told about pay difference they barely matched the pay or wouldn't allow higher pay. Promised and trained for a promotion but never received promotion or higher pay. Was a parttime employee working fulltime. Once no longer working for store manager became rude like all the hard work time and life put into working there wasn't appreciated.

Put in a ticket

This company only cares about profits employees and their safety are last thoughts. Pay is horrible kids working at walmart make more. Even full time employees don't make a living wage. Company does not care about its employees. If you have problems they tell you put in a ticket that never gets reviewed.

Busy and fun.

The busy work and pleasant customers make the time fly. The biggest improvements wouks be a higher hourly pay rate and health benefits were more affordable.

Easy and simple

its a good place to work since i was a cashier and i just had to scan items and give them the total. just like any other cashier job had a few bad experiences but i got through since its just the customer doing extra and i get it, you come from work and you just want to get home and get away from the tiring or bad day you had

Too much responsibility with very little compensation.

Started off as a sales associate making 15.50/hr and got promoted to Assistant Store Manager. The amount of new duties and responsibilities added to my work day was ridiculous and my pay raise was only 50 cents!! ASMs have to learn all of the duties of the store manager and act as the SM when they are on leave, vacation, etc. but the pay gap between the two is unfair!!

Pros

Weekly pay

Cons

Short breaks, constant pressure to get 100% on customer surveys, low pay

Management could be better

Management team will side with each other instead of listening to their employees. They do not treat employees with fairness and they do not schedule fairly, they will schedule themselves off during any given weekend and make employees work every weekend.

I only liked it because you got to work by yourself

I really enjoyed working on my own, but felt very uncomfortable and unappreciated with some people there, people have a problem with you if you work part-time and they don't treat you well they try everything to stop you from getting your rate and all I wanted was to work not talk and go home since i was only there for 5 hours that was frustrating for me but overall I really did enjoy what I did. I was a pickpacker riding a quick pick

Pros

Work on my own

Cons

No breaks, no pto, no sickdays, no vacation

You become family with your team..

You are a number once you reach a high level of pay you will be cut... No work life balance you work 6 to 7 days a week with a work load that is unachievable with the hours you are slotted to get it done.

Pros

Benefits for full time employees

Cons

Unachievable work load vs hours..

You'll wear a lot of hats (corporate)

I currently do the job of about 3-4 people, and that goes for everyone in the company on a corporate level. I make decent money but it's always stressful, very little training, and expected to always go above and beyond. I've had to teach myself majority of the time, very fast paced and always changing. You have to be willing to be spread extremely thin and do a huge variety of tasks.

Pros

Catered food, pay, some days aren't bad

Cons

work load, toxic environment

I feel like it goes without saying

Wasn’t a fun place to work. Hours were bad, customers don’t see you as a person. You’re expected to go above and beyond and do other peoples jobs for minimum wage. You can tell the company doesn’t value you.

Do not recommend

Only worked for this company for about a month before I lost it. Between the never ending freight coming in to the lack of hours given to the stores, I quit. The rolltainers come in stacked over the top in random orders. Our manager was never able to be at our store because she was being pulled away to other stores. Customers always getting angry because there aren't enough workers and because I HAD TO ASK FOR AN ID. Our bathrooms were unusable for almost 4 days because individual stores don't have the power to fix such issues. Do not work here unless you have to.

Pros

close to home

Cons

unsafe working conditions, low pay, expensive insurance policies

It’s a bit challenging.

It’s good if you are willing to work a lot and get paid very little. If you are disable they are going to make you think that you cannot accomplish certain tasks. They limit you to grow. You have to fight to grow in the company. Some of their policies make no sense. But if you are a positive person and focus on your job and taking care of customers you’ll survive.

Horrible company

0 out of 10 do not recommend. There is no training. No home work life balance. The company cuts cost by cutting labor leaving the store managers to pull 60 plus hours a week with no extra compensation. I could go on

Love the company

Great company to work for. Love my staff. I have worked at the company for over 5 years. Get along with bosses. Everyone in our area is always helpful.

no one knows what they are doing

one of the worst companies i have ever worked for, no work life balance impossible to run a shift on your own and complete the daily tasks required going home was the best part

Cool

Go dollar general. My favorite place almost every and always to even got and worked at. Did so much and had so much. Money and management. Get sick and go to doctor sometimes

Bad place to work at

They expect you to do a lot, don’t properly train you, pay is awful, schedule is bad, you get almost no hours unless they call you in. Dollar general is a joke.

Fast place to advance

Work/life balance is almost zero for a store manager. I’ve been in three stores in less than a year, so advancement is highly possible. Team building is fun and working with a district as a whole is fun, just don’t let it consume your life like it easily can.

Ehhhh

Ehhh, I wouldn't if you have kids or any type of life besides work and sleep. They do not care as long as you're committed to them and only them. Don't recommend

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar General. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits