J D Wetherspoon PLC

J D Wetherspoon PLC Employee Reviews

Found 3,114 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,115 reviews

Great people bad management

Some shifts can be quite relaxed if its dead but other times your completely understaffed and overwhelmed. Overall theyre pretty lenient on breaks (usually can take 5-10min extra) and discount is useful. Most pub managers will take advantage of you if you are too enthusiastic though and will force you to work at different pubs.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Bad management

Stay away

Staff turnover is so frequent, people from all backgrounds come in and realize how toxic the work environment is. A few people do all the work while the others just show up. You will never eat there again after working.

Pay is good but management are horrible

Constantly got talked down at whole time I worked there and the worst types of customers come in because it’s cheap, majority of the managers can’t handle their job then blame it on the staff

Can be a great company to work for - let down by poor management

I've worked for JD Wetherspoon for over 10 years, and I've had many great years aswell as some terrible ones.Post-covid hospitality has been hard for all companies, and we lost a lot of amazing people which changed the dynamic of the place drastically.

Pros

Free meal and soft drink on any shift.

Cons

Unsociable hours, often you won't get your full breaks.

Very productive

In my experience it’s been a fun place to work, staff are easy to get along with, hours are sometimes sociable and overall an good experience. You will meet some great friends when working for the company

Brilliant

Fantastic training, free meal on shift and good hours.Enjoy working here and always receive support. Great working environment and fun atmosphere with music during the shift in kitchen and good team mates

Good team but really rude customers

The staff and management are amazing but you have to work sometimes long and unsociable hours which leaves little time to see friends or family. Rude customers which are expected in this line of work which is a shame because the staff are really nice and work well as a team. Regulars are lovely and really care about the staff.

A great pub environment with some characterful pub staff

What impacts someone's opinion on their own job besides the salary, is two things: 1. The environment itself with regards the building, rooms, and furniture; the smells; the lighting; and the type and level of noise. The Spoons I worked at for 6 weeks as night shift manager in Brecon Powys ticked all these boxes positively. There is a traditional look about the pub with its old stonework, exposed gables, aristocrat portraits and so on.. The lighting in conjunction with the myriad mirrors makes everyone look more beautiful with a candlelight tone reaching all around the bar. The only smells I could ever clearly discern were that of fresh coffee beans, garlic bread, and pale ale. Im sure there were plenty of smells not so wholesome and perhaps involving any or all of these three but after having passed through through the human digestive tract, but I never saw them and doubt they were all that frequent. In terms of the noise, for myself it was either the pleasant, medium boil rumbling of a drunken crowd of tables during open hours or the total silence of the night shift. All in all, my senses were never offended working at The George Hotel Spoons. On the contrary, it felt a very human atmosphere to operate in.2. The staff. From pub managers down to bar associate all of the staff were welcome and down to Earth. Having worked in a toxic, clique work environment, Brecon Spoons staff were a dream to joke with and learn from. There were no obvious factions or friction and everybody wanted to do their job and pull together. It seemed to me the motto of the job was "Get the job done -

Pros

Free meal every shift! Weekly pay Work uniform is dashing A near constant jolly ambience

Cons

If your body clock can comfortably adjust to day sleeping and night working, I can't see any realistic cons.

Stressful

Overall good pay, but often hired people under the pretenses of a 30 hour contract, to then only been given 12-16 hours. Customers often terrible. Benefits quite good though.

Awful

Awful, management clueless staff clueless, never worked in a place like it in all my life money is terrible for what you're expected to do always short staffed avoid like the plague

good pay

really good pay but stressful when mega busy but good company to work in, i enjoyed my time there as staff were really nice too which made job more enjoyable

Depends on who you work with

From my first shift I was told how miserable the kitchen staff was working there. Staff would literally cry on shift whilst long-term staff and management would disappear during the busiest times of day to either smoke or take 5 .If you join with like-minded people this job would likely be manageable.

Overall okay

If you know how to microwave stuff, your in good hands. The kitchen is intense but once you get use to it then it’s easy. Would have stayed but they screwed me on the contracts

Pros

Weekly pay and bonuses is pub does good

Cons

Insane hours and strict to rotas

Started okay, team all seem great but when facing some difficulties in personal life there is no support. Ultimately let go

No support from management, unless you're part of the clique then don't expect your voice to be heard on anything. Pay is just above minimum wage, however work can be hard especially when expected to work every weekend.

Paid well

Nice benefits. Worked here at 18 and got paid more than most people my age. Had a lot of support and it was a very comfortable environment to work in (no loud music, usually bouncers on the door to intervene if there’s any fights/ nuisance customers)

Pros

Free food

Unsociable hours but good pay especially at management

Become manager ASAP for good pay and bonus on 40h/week contract 3 weeks rotaGood discounts You are just a number to head office Good opportunity to move around country

Not the best.

Management will hire anybody and refuse to train them. People become barred and because Management are too scared to deal with the issue they either send non Management to deal with or not deal with it all. Staff are not paid enough for the job, especially those who are expected to do more.

Pros

Tips.

Cons

Pay and management

Social but stressful

Best part of the job - the social life. Worst part - management, you often get treated like children by management as it is mostly students on the team.

Extremely understaffed

In 5 months working there I seen a lot of people come and go!!I was left without help doing rooms.It was under staffed and the “rules” were ridiculous.Would not recommend this job to anyone.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Poorly run

Fun perks and good people

Had a great manager. Most of the staff like gossiping a lot other than that can't really complain. I was bar staff but would work as floor staff so didn't really like that. I did like how friendly people were. Not much diversity but not really an issue for me.

Easy going place to work

Once you’ve been their a few days you get the hang of things and the job is fairly easy. Mostly nice customers. Free food and drink on shift. Unsociable working hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at J D Wetherspoon PLC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits