Jacobs

Jacobs Employee Reviews for Principal Software Engineer

Principal Software Engineer20 reviews
People in Jacobs in Calgary, AB office are very friendly and helpful, and they are professional enough to handle work related matters. I enjoyed my experience working with them.
Excellent organization
Excellent people

During my journey of 4 years with Jacobs i met so many intellectuals and received very good mandate to complete my journey
Very good and enjoyable place to work, productive, opportunity to learn new skills. Safety is the first with multi-culture environment. looking forward to working with Jacobs again.
As any other traditional big company.
Advantages: Life balance, projects, many opportunities

Disadvantages: Slow career progression, internal political issues
I have been with the company for 13 years... until they decided to sale the line of business I was working for. It was a great place to work, team work oriented, camaraderie, client oriented, flexible schedule. Management try hard to keep communication open and bi-directional.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, large organization
Cons
suceptible to market ups and down.
They don't keep people for even a week of non-billable hours. They under-estimate the Man-hours for the projects they bid (in Calgary office) and as soon as the Project proceeds, they expect people to work overtime (for the hours actual required versus their assumption of lowest budgetted man-hours they estimated - just to win the orders from the customer) without getting paid for any minute more than their (wrongly estimated) budget of hours.
Pros
At least work in hand (in the tough economy)
Cons
Long hours without getting paid
Jacobs was a great company to work for.
I enjoyed working with CPChem and Shell personnel as our clients.

I enjoyed developing ETAP and SKM models for both clients.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Too much overtime
Its indeed great organization to do your career during any phase of the carrier (Start - Mid - Mature). You can get exposure of technical as well as management sides.
Jacobs has not provided any interaction with their supervision or other Jacobs employees. I worked at Bayer under contract with Jacobs but had no interaction with Jacobs management or technical employees in six months of employment.
Standard benefits and work hours. The company is very focused on expansion and providing qulity engineering which meets clients schedules. Jacobs discipline management took interest in the development of its engineers.
Pros
Relocation options
Cons
Subject to Oil and Gas recession cycles
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Jacobs?
Long history of quality engineering service. Substantial American influence on company culture and staffing strategies. Excellent office location in Calgary Quarry Park.
Jacobs is multi-offices company across the world. I did learn multi-office project execution.
I did learn Packaged mechanical equipment and rotating equipment for SAGD projects.

Work place culture was very professional and safe.
Pros
Enjoyable and safe work place.
Cons
Long work hours
Co-workers are friendly, I learned a lot in this company. Management is effective. There are all knids of social clubs inside the company such as Jacobs future, toast masters which is attractive for the young people
I enjoyed the effective management tactics, good team in place to support the project. Very relaxed environment with trust and unlimited OT. I enjoyed Alaska.
Overall, I am very happy at my stay with Jacobs. I have developed my career from Intermediate, senior, principal to lead position in the past 11 years. The fun part is dynamic, every project is unique and most of them have different process and different control system from previous. There are always something new to learn for every job. I love this part and it expands my knowledge and experience.
Also I enjoy the free access to the gym and flexible schedule.
Pros
Free gym access; flexible work schedule
Good company gives importance to safety & employee are treated as greatest assets.
Very friendly working culture.

Job respectability is good & provides the training in weak areas of employee.

Always stands and takes the employees meetings in areas of improvement.
Pros
Free transports car & buss services from all over areas in mumbai.
Cons
40 Hrs a weak .
Engineering contract company that provides Engineering, Procurement, Construction services to multiple client types. A typical work day is spent satisfying client requirements for projects in Mining, Oil & Gas, Food & Beverage, Buildings, Infrastructure.
A good company, there was a down size after a company review of activities in the UK. I was sorry to leave.
Pros
Varied and Interesting
Cons
A typical day at work is pleasant with co-operatve co-workers,Manager & Management.
The hardest part of job is long working hours.

The enjoyable pat of job is co-operatine co-workers & flexi work enviroment.
Pros
Flexible work enviroment
Cons
Jacobs as a company is great organisation to work with. Jacobs receives mostly overseas projects and India office works as support office to lead overseas offices with very limited scope to reduce the cost of project.

As Jacobs India is not involved in vital area of project execution, the employee have limited scope of learning and growth.