Kumon

Kumon Employee Reviews for Assistant

Assistant96 reviews
Worked with children ages 3-18. Helped students in their math (counting through calculus) and reading (letters through literary analysis). Managed staff training, meetings, and hiring. Held parent orientations/conferences.
You are trained to deal with kids differently and how to manage their tike whilst working.You need to develop a relationship with the kids you are dealing with so that you able to help them overcome their challenges without fear
Pros
The kids are always ahead of their age mates at school
Cons
Kids are not relaxed when its a new subject introduced yo them
Kumon was a great place to work to build on communication with children and their parents. You always came across having to answer questions asked by parents and talk about how their child is coping with the work. It was quite a fun place to work overall.
I enjoyed working in kumon.The work environment is very good.This job helped me in improving my communication.This os not an stressful job.You will come in contact with lots of children which will help you to remain calm and male things work patiently.
my experience was stressful as my colleague and i were always overloaded with work to mark or attend to students. i also had to assist students with various disabilities which was a challenge at 15, but i managed well.
Pros
early finishes on less busy days
Cons
very fast pace most week days
I was working as Assistant in Kumon.
Work culture was nice. In Kumon, we celebrated every festival.

To complete work within timeline was challenge.

Management was nice.
I worked here when I was 16. She told us that if we 'work hard' the salary will increase. We were told a lie and only received £4 an hour and it would have only inreased if I was 21. She gave us false hope and made it out to be something else.

Was told to so much for for such little. The manager is extremely rude. She was highly patronising. Could not explain the marking grid properly and would get angry as I did not understand it. I dont know why I worked there for so long. My anxiety was so bad going in every day knowing that this woman would rip me apart. It was also cash in hand which I dont even think is legal. I just feel sorry myself that I had to go through that as a 16 year old. Now that I am 20 I would never allow myself to be disrespected and treated so miserably. Also did not provide payslips. I was overworked with children who ALL needed help at the same time.
Great owner!
No room for advancement and very Boring work

Ok for a high school student

Only 4 hour shifts a couple times a week

Not worth working for minimum wage and shifts
Fast paced environment, you get to work with children of all ages in both math and reading. You get to build relationships with the kids and your co-workers.
brilliant team and working with the kids is ever so rewarding, and watching them grow and moving on is lovely, knowing you have helped them. The manager is ever so kind and is always there if you are little stuck
A typical day at work would consist of filing and grading papers and helping students with their work. Management was very nice and welcoming on the first day. There wasn't anything difficult about this job, everything is pretty straightforward.
Depending on the kids at your center this job could either be really fun or really frustrating. It is an easy job and I enjoyed it. Only con was that you usually just graded and that's it.
You have to be incredibly fast and smart. It's difficult at first, but you catch up. There is a very limited amount of available hours to work, which you should keep in mind.
Most of the time, assistants are grading both classwork, homework, and occasionally, tests.

Not much to complain in terms of management and workplace culture.

The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable, for me at least. As students struggle with concepts, it provides a chance to challenge one's own understanding in a way that allows it to grow.

The job allowed me to achieve some level of mastery on subjects in a way where it was no longer about memorizing equations, but being able to formulate your own equations just from analysis and reasoning.
Pros
Potentially rewarding experience
Cons
Mind-numbing work
Very little variation in one's type of work. One simply checks the students work and that's it. As long as you are a high school student you should be hired.
Pros
After school
Cons
Boring
I worked at Kumon for a good few months and was paid weeks late almost every single paycheck. I tried to quit once in person and the manager refused to speak to me. I had to end up calling them and quitting over the phone because of it. They got mad at us for being friendly with the kids. Super weird working environment... I was only 15 when working there and I seemed more on top of things than much of the management. They did shut down not long ago however.
Pros
Cons
strict and poor quality bosses
Loved working with kids, it can be hectic and stressful at times so if you dont like kids dont bother. I have a great boss and coworkers which makes the job even better.
Helping young kids advance in their school work is a great line of work, good communication among staff and everyone is there for the same goal, help children get ahead of their school work
Pros
Culture, nature of work
Cons
Can often be unexciting
Kumon was a very academic and high achieving area of work. It required a great deal of mathematical and literacy skills, as well as the capability of setting goals and planning out the day to achieve those goals
A typical day at Kumon is to assist students with their class work if they require it. A classroom supervisor is expected to record student marks on each session and ensure they have enough homework for the week.
Kumon was a very educational employment opportunity as it introduced me to the workforce. It provided very effective KPI's which ensure effectiveness and was a major contributor to the completion of required tasks. The orkculture is very professional.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.
1.3K