U.S. Department of the Navy

U.S. Department of the Navy Employee Reviews

Showing all 4,350 reviews
Had to work at different locations with people from different nations. And experiencing the inter-national military personnel that worked together to get to the same goals.
I was able to do work as I wanted too. Ever once in a while something came in and it was rush for items to be pulled as a priority. Working where I did have some extra duties to coordinate with different parties of what to do with material I accumulated.
Pros
Get together for lunch with all mod people in our organization.
Cons
Short breaks for smokers who couldn't quite.
I have been in the same unit since 2005, and I have seen Sailors and Shipmates come and go, but I can't see myself in any other unit. I have deployed 3 separate times, and although the work was tough, it was rewarding.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
Long hours for little pay
It was the Navy vs the Army and after four years, I surrendered and retired six (6) years earlier then I had planned to! My co workers were great, it was the management that was bad. I felt that I was being discriminated due to a few factors.
Pros
Pay and benefits. 401K plan is great. Co workers!
Cons
It was the management that was bad. When I arrived in 2012.
I Loved it! I have no complaints, the rules are clear, the hours are really flexible, all resources to do your job are provided. Training is required so you stay current and up to date. Audit Compliance is in full force.
Pros
Benefits, job security, training, compensation
Cons
Na not so much not the best for me always looking for growth. Can be challenging so be up for the challenge if you want to win. Get to know people.
Pros
Lit
Cons
Play
A lot will be asked of you upon your first day working within the DOD but it’s all very rewarding and aids in professional growth. I enjoy all challenges that come with this job and recommend a job in federal government to anyone thinking about it.
If you are looking for a fast pace job that lets you tour the world... well you found it! I spent 4 years sailing Asia and loved it! I would do it again in a heartbeat!
Pros
See the world
Cons
Your enlisted
I have been with my company for seven years and I’m thankful for it. However my job has been in the way recently trying to complete other task due to me working from overseas it’s more I want to do in life.
Pros
Traveling the world
Cons
Communication, always overseas
Challenging, continuous learning. many available opportunities. Managers and Supervisors are the best, very employee oriented and willing to help at any time. Outstanding benefits: 5 star medical plan and very good 401 plan available to anybody.
Pros
Respect for each other, place that appreciate diversity
Cons
Too much protocols and paperwork. Lack of sense of urgency
Responsible for assisting in the Emergency Department with phlebotomy, wound care, suture removal, and other advanced skills while under the direction of healthcare providers
Supervise the Immunization Clinic which administers approximately 500 immunizations annually to military personnel

Provide care for all military service members and their families in military treatment facilities, austere environments and onboard ships, while maintaining patient safety and privacy

A lot of time away from your family, months away from home. long work hours and weekends of work. You need a lot of support to be successful in the military.
Being in the military, theres not much you can really say. You work when you're called upon, but you are well taken care of. Life and work balance changes regularly, so dont get too comfortable.
Pros
Great benefits and comaraderie
Cons
Complex life/work balance
One of the best places I ever worked.
Very supportive and friendly work environment.

My supervisor was great and a pleasure to work with she provide me with all the tools I need to succeed.
Great work place for career advancement and great team of people to work with!
Management support was amazing for cross training and interacts well with employees especially when problems arise.
I joined the Navy Reserve in April of 2006 as a prior service E4 and was mobilized to go to Iraq three months later. I made E5 while I was there. I was making so much money and enjoying what I was doing enough that I ended up extending for a second tour. When I got back, I tried to get back on active duty, but this ended up not happening. A couple of years later, civilian work dried up and I was able to get short term orders (ADT) to do some maintenance support for EOD at NAB Coronado, CA. During this time I made E6. Not long after that, my battalion got mobilized for Afghanistan. We got back in 2011 and I haven't been selected for a mobilization since, but I've still been to Guam, Hawaii, Washington state, and SoCal plenty of times, all on the Government's dime. Since I'm in a leadership position, I do a lot of Navy related stuff in between drill weekends, but the overall pay and benefits make it worth my while.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits, travel. Sometimes you get to drive heavy equipment and shoot guns.
Cons
Time commitment outside of regular working hours. Silly paperwork.
Management brings a very toxic culture to this place. Otherwise it’s a great place to work. If you complain about something you will get blackballed by management.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Toxic management
The pay is good until other people at a lower rank make more than you. And you do more than them. Management sucks and there is not alot of promotion from within, The good ole boys club is in affect and good luck getting any feedback.
This job offered me experience you can not obtain in civilian life. The United States Navy taught me about team work and unity. I was able to see the world and learn so many hands on task.
it is worth it, apply and you go places as long as you apply yourself. Working for the government is something most people want because of the work/life balance.
Pros
benefit, job security
Cons
some of the people
Great place to work if you are “a good old boy”. Management has been inept for so long and no changes are ever made. Kiss butt and you’ll survive. Maybe get rid of those on top and hopefully things will change. Don’t expect anyone to have your back if things go wrong, as they are constantly having meetings (TLS’s) to find someone to blame for their faults.