U.S. Navy

U.S. Navy Employee Reviews

Showing all 33,462 reviews
It’s challenging and rewarding experience and not for the faint of heart. You have to have a open mind and understand that the military is a rank based organization.
Pros
Camaraderie
Cons
Life work balance
Provides a very good pay for a individual that is right out of high school without and education or further career goals, but also capitalizes on the fact that people who have no motivation cannot be fired. This creates a endless loop of junior people constantly having bad leadership without the ability to change anything. Understanding that it is the military and it was a "volunteer" choice but that does not excuse the fact of not trying to make life better and a having to trick junior people to join without fully explaining their next XX amount of years.
Pros
job security
Cons
everything else
Overall the Navy was a great experience. The travel was great and if you worked hard enough, promotions would come with time. My only regret is that I didn't join sooner.
Definitely over worked and under paid with a toxic work culture. Work hours are long and schedule is always changing. Normally putting in around 100 hours a week and always on call.
Nothing like starting your career in the US military. Build a foundation for your future and set yourself up for success. Build discipline and confident through the worlds best military
Pros
free lunches, Bah, allowances, good leaders
Cons
long hours, ok pay, tough assignments
I enjoy working for the United States Navy. It has great benefits and a lot of opportunities. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Go Navy!
Sailors belong on ships, ships belong at sea and land is just a navigational hazard. The food might not be great but the people make it worth it. You won't regret it.
Pros
Free Dental
Cons
Free Dental
As a Quality Assurance Specialist dealing with prototype aircraft you get to see some exciting things. A typical day might see you inspecting several different types of aircraft or components. Generally we are understaffed so it can be hectic traveling from place to place for installations. The pay is great and the government benefits packages are excellent. Management is very political and generally do not seem to care about their people. Growth is limited.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Job Security
Cons
Growth, Advancement, Recognition
You learn a lot about life with this organization. Definitely learn how to work under pressure and learn to work under a toxic environment. There is a lot of favoritism and unfair advancement. This leads to not so great people leading and not so great of managing work flow. Constant threats that they will make sure you never get a job on the outside if things don't go their way with a bad discharge. The only thing that I missed was the travel and seeing new places.
Recommend to youth who have no experience with anything and are looking to get away from home. It opens many doors and can provide so much opportunity for growth and advancement.
Enjoyed my time in the Navy. Gave me a lot of useful skills and experience to help in the civilian world but it can be rough while you're in. Very dependent on your duty station and chain of command, but I felt quite fortunate to have had some awesome ones.
It was a pleasure to serve. There were a lot of pros and cons. Work life balance isn't great. But serving your country lasts a lifetime. Aviation side, hope to get a job doing similar work as a civilian.
Management always changes, work/life balance was constantly an issue. Workplace is full of cliques and unwarranted behavior. The few chances you get of actual meaningful work feels pointless at the end of the day.
Pros
Va, benefits, GI Bill
Hurry up and wait. They dont care about your mental health. They try to get you in trouble every day. Leadership is horrible. Hard to get leave approved. Hazing still exists. Think highschool drama but worse it comes from all sides of the chain of command.
Pros
Free college
Cons
Great benefits. If only the same could be said about the leadership and the priorities they put over your mental health and family. Besides that the pay is ok if you don’t think about how many hours you work.
Pros
Free healthcare and college
Cons
Bad leadership, long hours, short notice changes in schedule, work life over powers personal and family life, fraternization, weird racist stuff going on now, favoritism, advancement is based on what’s on paper instead of actual work ethic
Compensation for certain rates can be really low. The opposite applies to rates where the work is stupid simple but get paid really high for it. Overall I still believe everyone should experience at least one term in the military.
Pros
Steady job with plenty of advancement opportunities if you apply yourself.
Cons
Depending on your rate, work/life balance could be terrible.
Great place to work, you get to travel to different places, and meet many different people. the days can be very long though, but it has great benefits
I had good leaders snd bad leader. Make the most of the moment nd move forward. Team work and a sence of pride working for yhe navy. Plenty of opportunity to advance and travel.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Dangerous work
Everyone has a different experience. It all comes down to which command you go to. Some are great, some are ok, and there are some that are just awful.
Pros
Great benefits, seeing the world
Cons
Toxicity in leadership positions
There are endless career paths in the Navy, so ultimately you do have a lot of say in how your experience will be. Some things will be mandatory but job assignments change with more rank.
I loved the friends I made and the people I met and the places I went. But the leadership was simply some of the worst on this planet. I’m very gratefully out of the navy now and I miss my friends a lot but you couldn’t pay me again to work for those people. Recruiters are LIARS, do your research.
Pros
Paid time off. Great friends. Housing.
Cons
No freedom.
  1. Employee Reviews