U.S. Navy

U.S. Navy Job Security & Advancement reviews

It’s challenging and rewarding experience and not for the faint of heart. You have to have a open mind and understand that the military is a rank based organization.
Pros
Camaraderie
Cons
Life work balance
US Navy goes back over 200 years in business. Rich in culture and traditions. Great place to begin a career, learn amazing skills and earn great benefits.
Serving was an honor. Travel was stressful, going around the world was an experience. For those that want to serve something greater, I would highly recommend it.
Navy gave me the opportunity to travel and gave me security for my family. I joined the Navy out of high school and it has provided for me and allowed me to provide for my family.
Pros
good money
Cons
Away from family
I think U.S navy is good company that I can stay for more years... Plus I can persue my knowledge and ability... I can learn more than I have experience in my previous job
Cons
The Navy teaches you what you need to learn, both on the job and in life. If you need direction, it will give you that. If you need a family, it will give you that as well. If you need a reason to get an education so you can do something else, it'll be there for you then too.
Pros
Too many to list
Cons
Too many too list
The Navy gave me great opportunities to continue higher education, advancement in grade and see the world. I have learned to be an excellent leader for my civilian life after retirement.
Pros
paid housing, food, education
Cons
long deployments, away from friends and family too often
On any given workday one can or will work up to 16 hrs+, and that may or may not be through out the whole week. Some bases have a community that is fun and inviting, while others may not have that. Advancement in some rates is good, but in other rates it is not the case. Some commands are work driven, and can be rewarding or stressful. Overall requirements to stay in are easy, just follow the rules and regulations and pass physical fitness test.
I left for Basic Training 5 days after I turned 18 and six years later, after recently leaving active duty I can say I have no regrets. I joined the Navy because I didn't know what I wanted to do after high school. I have lived in San Diego, Japan and Bahrain and have visited many other countries while travelling in the Navy. The best parts of the navy for me was working with people from all across the country from all walks of life, I have life long friends I wouldn't have met if I didn't join. I advanced very quickly and excelled at my job, I left the navy because I always saw it as a stepping stone to help achieve my goals.
Pros
Travel, Diverse Workforce, Good pay, Training
Cons
Unpredictable Schedule, Long Working Hours
I loved the Navy. I was fulfilling and challenging. I got to do a lot of travelling and see the world. I encountered all different people from all walks of life.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at U.S. Navy?
The US Navy is a great place to find out who you are and what you want out of life. And more importantly, what you dont want out of life. Service will show you who you are and what your capable of.
Pros
Benefits, advancement
Cons
work/life balance
Navy is a great career. Highly recommended everyone supports one another in the us Navy hardest part is leaving families and friends traveling and seeing the world
Pros
Free food, travel, new friends
Cons
leave home, miss family
Works as site Secretary for which provide more knowledge as we dealt with US based Client. Since, project is due to completed, company decided to assigned me to purchase department for the new environment and knowledge.
Great 20 years spent. I got to meet some good people and see some great places. I did a lot of different things with Information Technology and saw a lot of different places.
The culture is a lot of civilian life. But if you don't like working at random times, this isn't a good fit you. Be prepared for random and sometimes spontaneous events to happen and ruin your weekend plans.
Becoming One of the Elite few with the potential and ability to change both yourself and the world in an excellent environment. Seeing the world and meeting new individuals are a great way to understand it.
Pros
Surronded by diffrent peopl and enviroments
Cons
work-hours
Joining the Navy was the best decision of my life. Traveling all over the world, living overseas and learning new cultures was the best experience. And the friendships that I developed in the Navy will last a lifetime.
I've learned to become a lot more independent and I have acquired a lot of office and technical skills. The management was good and my co-workers are awesome.
A challenging and productive work environment. An experience you will never have anywhere else. The bonds you form will ultimately help you through the long work weeks and deployments.
Management sucks navy wide, you just have to advance to feel better lol. choose the right rate to advance quick and do not end up in a financial bind
Twenty years in the Navy was a very hard task to accomplish. It was a great place to learn, grow, and mature. However, it was very hard on family and personal life. The military requires one to be dedicated and requires a lot of sacrifice. A typical work day was usually long and busy, filled with a lot of training and maintenance. Management was based on rank, their were some good and some bad but there were always lessons learned. The hardest part of the job was being away from loved ones. The most enjoyable part was seeing the world at a young age.
Pros
Career advancement opportunties
Cons
Separtion from family
  1. Job Security & Advancement